Sunday, February 15, 2009

A good weekend..

After a very sad week, it was nice to have a happy family based weekend. You know the sort where you don't have to be anywhere in particular, and so everything can mellow?

Yesterday being Valentine's Day, Peter went out shopping for me. I had a few grocery items I wanted for our tea last night. ( we were having a date you see ;) ) Yum Yum. He took the boys out with him, and they also chose a bunch of flowers. That wasn't on my list so that was a suprise.
Mitchell and I also made a yummy pav for tea. One of our favourite desserts. It was Mitchell's job to add the sugar. A great job for mitch who does everything so s l o w l e y.

In the afternoon I set up an area for Mitchell and Cameron to do some homework. We have a couple of "assignments" to do at home over the term. One of which is to create a piece of artwork relating to their current theme of Australiana.
We chatted about lots of different ideas for their pictures, and ended up with a very topical subject. The Australian bush and the bushfires which are currently affecting so many people. I have been open with the children with this . It is on the news, it is on the radio. Fundraising is at school. We can smell the smoke outside.

So I gave them a pallette of watercolour paints, and this is what they came up with .....

Mitchell's artwork first ...

Mitchell's Watercolour Painting of Black Saturday bushfire 2009
When I asked Mitchell to describe his painting to me, he told me that the blue sky was covered with black smoke, and that the houses and trees were on fire. The tree on the right was the home of a possum, and it's home was still ok.

and Cameron's

Cameron's watercolour painting of bushfires
Cameron's description ... the fire was really big, much taller than the trees ....the fire bends because of the wind... the ground has turned black were the fire has been. What really made me gulp was his fire truck in the corner. "The fire was too big for the little fire truck to put out."

I am really proud of this work of the boys. Artwork is not really their "thing" and yet they spent ages painting away. Chatting and having some fun.

Last night Peter and I enjoyed our Prawn linguini with spinach, asparagus and Lemon Pasta . Try it if you can. Yummo. We watched a film My Blueberry nights. A really interesting film. Good to see a film that is not a major blockbuster.

Today I made the treck back to start up dog training again with our now big puppy - Ruby is lovely, but boy is she now bouncy and full of puppiness.

We then spent the afternoon at the pool. Jonathan has been asking to go for ages.I am really impressed as to how well they are all now swimming. Jonathan especially.
At the end of the day I took off his bubble and let him swim "unaided" for a while in the learners pool . He spent most of the time duckdiving and looking underwater. and trying to float and kick across the top of the surface. It was only for a meter or so. A great milestone nevertheless.
We also had a visitor from school. Buddy Bear came home with cameron, and so he came along to the pool as well. All for a diary book the class is making.

Hope your week ahead is a good one. It is now time to organise all the school stuff for tomorrow.
Cheers.

Lisa

No comments: