We consider ourselves very lucky to have a house still intact after the weekend past. The weather which arrived on Saturday afternoon was extremely heavy - enough to make me very excited that our water tank filled. YAY. Then I had the news on that night and saw how devistating the weather had been for so many people in the city, and in some suburbs. Little did I realise how I would end up being involved in the aftermath!!!
Monday night I received a call from my boss at Knox council telling me that my work had been affected by the storm, and that our kinder had been shut for Tuesday. So needless to say when I went into work yesterday I thought I was ready to see the disaster zone. However once you get into the area the sight of the distruction takes over. The main force of the storm came from the large hailstones. Families have told me that hail larger than golf balls came down .It was as is the trees have all been stripped of their small branches. While driving through Rowville there are cars around with HUGE amounts of damage. Windows in houses are broken, along with countless roof tiles broken.
So now - along with 17 other children's centres in Knox, my centre is closed for repairs and safety checks of the roofline. (some centres in Knox have had severe damage - including ceilings falling in!),
So now I am truely grateful for a dry house, with carpet which is warm and dry, with windows which are able to be closed.
Stay safe everyone.
L
1 comment:
OMG!!! How terrible! How did Windermere fare? Thinking of all my old rowville families today and hoping all are okay. Is it super strange to be back teaching where you were so many years ago? Thinking of you and sending hugs.
Post a Comment