Tuesday, March 11, 2008

IT'S OUT !!!!


Today was the day .... a day we have been looking forward to for SIX YEARS!!!. Today, Mitchell's gastric P.E.G. has finally come out, and he is on his own - fully self supported for food intake.

So for everyone who knows this little chap, and all he has undergone in order to simply eat, today is a HUGE milestone for him.
I am ever so proud, and quite emotional. I still remember the doctors telling me at Mitchell's discharge - "We are sure he will get the hang of eating soon......" So is six years considered soon?

So for posterity's sake, here are the before and after shots of Mitchell's tum. He wasn't as keen to show off the bandage covering the site tonight. He is a little worried about the whole thing I think. For as long as he can remember the PEG has been a part of him.
So in a way we lost a little part of Mitch today. For the good. Bring on the new Mitchell I say. :)

He will need this dressing on for a couple of weeks, then he will only be left with a "second" belly button. I think I can live with that as a reminder of his rough start to life, especially when the really ugly possible consequences pop into my head.

So here's cheers to you my son. I am so proud of you today.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW you have been living in a busy world of late!. Congratulations to Mitchell and the rest of you. I know its been alot of work to get to this stage. Well done :-)
Whoo Hoo.
See you Saturday
Helen.

Julie said...

Hi Lisa, Just blog hopping from Helen's & to my surprise I see a PEG. tube. My son has one also & I remember them saying to us that he may just start eating too.
Congrat's to Mitchell. Such an achievement! ;)
U must be so proud.

Julie